Sunday, November 6, 2011

All that Jazz



So I was in my office, minding my own business, probably wasting my time, when a big event's reminder decided to disrupt my very restful time and hit my heart with such force that I gasped and almost fell out of my chair. "I have to perform that single's Jazz night next weekend!!" I exclaimed. Don't you just love it how you plan for things that are so far in the future that it seems like they will never actually happen and then all of a sudden they are here? Well, gratefully I had been preparing here a little bit and there a little bit so I was not completely at my wits end but it certainly has made this weekend a nerve-wracking experience of continual practice and memorization of lyrics. I would normally be completely no worries. I always have one or two jazz songs that I can perform at the drop of a hat but this performance is for a National Singles Conference and I have to fill around an hour and half of time. *gulp* Now the upside is that this is no concert. I'm just providing "background music" for a romantic night. There will also be cameo appearances by the presiding Stake Presidency, and another girl that sang with me on the theme song for the Conference. So I do have some help to fill up the time but that still leaves me with a lot of material to practice and a lot of programming to think about so that people don't get too bored or feel like I'm singing too much. I'm already thinking of some Chinese jokes that I can use to lighten the mood a little bit because since this is a Mormon Singles Conference you know that there are going to people out there who are gonna be sweatin' bullets! I on the other hand am avoiding the awkward night by being the one in the spotlight which is a great compromise.

I'm so ready for this season to be here though. Even though I live in a foreign country where they don't celebrate the upcoming holidays I still can feel the peace and feelings of gratefulness that they remind me of. This Holiday Season is going to be special, I just know it.

1 comment: