Sunday, December 25, 2011

The night before Christmas


Short post today because I am really trying to enjoy myself during this season. Well, it took a lot of Christmas music, lots of church videos and preparing to give a talk on Christmas day to get me through it but I think that I'm doing just fine this year. Yes, this is the second year in a row that I have not been able to be home for Christmas; something that hasn't happened since I went on my mission ten years ago. The only difference between now and then is that I was crazy busy every day doing the work of the Lord and now I'm only crazy busy doing the work of the Lord part-time and kind of sucking at it as of late. But there has been something special about this Christmas. Again I have felt the love of the Lord pulling me through not being able to be with my family, which feels so terrible, but this year I have started to feel a reliance on the Lord that I haven't felt in a while. One thing I learned on my mission was reliance on the Lord because if you didn't have that, well you just about went crazy. But ever since being back I guess I didn't feel so much like it was just me and the Lord in the world and I started putting my trust in others, not forgetting about the Lord of course; at first. You know if there is one thing that I really put forth a big effort in doing in my life is keeping in contact with the people who I've become friends with whether or not it has been in the past or the present. Now I'm not the best at it but I really try stay in contact with people that I care about and try not to miss important dates and things. Staying in touch with the Lord shouldn't be as hard as staying in contact with people but sometimes it just is. Through this Christmas season I have had to rely on something other than the relationships that I've had and the relationships that I have now. I've had to rely more on myself, more than I ever had before and whenever I do that I realize how terribly short I fall. That is when I remember my primary and Sunday School lessons which has taught me that whenever I fall short that I always have somewhere to turn to. That's why I've made a resolution this year that I'm going to make sure that I come home for Christmas every year. Now I might not be able to come to my earthly home with my brother's and sister and my Mom and Dad but I can come home to the place that I know that I will be always welcome no matter what I do or who I am. I know that I am always welcome in the arms of the Lord. Just as the prodigal son, if I return to him then I know that every time he will come running to the rescue. This has never failed me in my life and has been the only constant in this unreliable world. I love the Lord and the things he has done for me. Merry Christmas everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment